Sunday, October 4, 2009

A recommendation is free... or Pass It On

I recently found some awesome blogs though other blogs and through ThriftyFun. I love the "frugal" community, because they get sharing all the way through, for both it's financial and karmic advantages.

I made my sister the following CD to listen to. I burn myself CDs to themes. For "Cleaning the House" "Songs for missing J" "Driving Lou to California" etc. Music balances me out, helps me to sing it all out before I cry myself blind. I need the catharsis and I appreciate the artistry and the emotion a song can encapsulate, also I love to sing. I really love to sing in the car. It makes traffic bearable, and as I have said before, it distracts the side of my brain that has the terrible imaginings that would keep me from driving otherwise.

Here's the current play list (Songs for missing J****):
Trapeze Swinger - Iron and Wine the song to be played at J's funeral
Young at Heart - Frank Sinatra "life gets more exciting with each passing day, and love is either in your heart or on it's way..."
You're Not Coming Home Tonight - First Aid Kit look these girls up they do a cover of Fleet Foxes' Tiger Mountain Peasant Song that will give you goose bumps.
All You Need Is Love - The Beatles because, love IS all you need, or it just feels that way when you feel all the glee singing those words
So Far Away - Carole King we're apart alot, I translate all those on the road references to our situation
Ain't That A Kick in the Head - Dean Martin I love that phrase, and for me, it evokes reading "On the Road" and getting very little from it [so he was wordy and drug addled and a bum?] but the phrase "for kicks". I love Dean, and those horns!
Fallen From the Sky - Glen Hansard (from the Once Soundtrack) I highly recommend Once, also listen to the Frames, his band. J doesn't care for this song but I love it
Somebody To Love - Queen Freddy Mercury really rang every drop from a song.
Mercedes Benz - Janis Joplin Iz and I sing this song together. Iz is 3. "Oh Lord, woncha buy me..." It's one of those small amazing things I am priveleged to experience. This song reminds me of my mom. I didn't know what "dialing for dollars" was, she does.
Firestarter - Chris Whitley this makes me feel all fuzzy guitar... I couldn't find a link, you'll have to hunt it down.
Hanging Around - Counting Crows I'm a sucker for the clappy sing along feel. Also I love this band. And I relate to the way he says, "way way way too long".
Northern Sky - Nick Drake One of my favorites of his, one of those songs that plays in your head. I love how the guitar gets right around my brain and the tinkling feeling it works up... It feels like gentle rain.
Hunger Strike -Temple of the Dog Who doesn't love this song? It's a perfect song.
Sunny Days - TV Themes (Sesame Street) Um. I love Grover and Oscar the Grouch and Snufflupagus from way back. It's a good song, full of nostalgia for me. Come and Play!
I Want To Hold Your Hand - T. V. Carpio (from the Across the Universe Soundtrack) She puts all this wanting in this song I never heard in the original. This is probably my favorite "cover" of all time.
Hold On -Sarah McLachlan (from No Alternative) her lyrics and her singing...
Rockabye - Shawn Mullins I like the storytelling devises of this song... the beat, the song.
Because -The Beatles Lennon's lyrics are so clever and simple, "because the world is round, it turns me on..." Just the way he lilts "because" melts around the corners.
Golden Slumbers I will never meet Paul McCartney, but I always felt comforted with the idea of him singing a lullaby to me, and really belting it out....
Carry That Weight I sing this to myself sometimes, I can't tell you why...
The End - The Beatles The greatest band in the world, and I almost didn't buy this CD?

I recently purchased my fourth copy of Abbey Road. I have been buying this CD since I was 14, if you can believe that.... I had said, before, that I was never buying it again, that I had already paid for it so many times! But then, I got a gift card for my birthday. And it was prominently displayed in the store with all the other Beatles CDs I already own, saying to me, Come on, girl, don't be so cheap.
So, I bought it. Or rather, my husband did, via the gift card. (Yeah, it's always the right color and size and I am guaranteed to buy myself something I love with it.)
I came home kind of grousing, but put it on my imac and onto itunes, and immediately, I realized it was worth every penny. Each time I bought it.
Jesse and I have pretty large music collections. We are of the same mind when it comes to music we truly love: It will pay for itself in due time. [Even if one is buying it again after losing it to a failed relationship or a bad move or just left it in someone else's car....]
And so, here is my recommendation: if you don't know these songs you can click them for links or look them up. If you own a Beatles CD put it on. If you know Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine, sing all those "I know, I know"s (sixteen seconds of self admonishment, whoa) and feel in right down to your soul. Singing in the car saves my day I can't tell you all how often.
I wonder, dear reader, what's on your playlist?

9 comments:

  1. There are a lot of songs that remind my of Arnie. Mostly: I Can't Make You Love Me, by Bonnie Raitt and The Hollies-The Air that I breathe. But I have found new meaning in songs that never reminded me of him before. A lot of music makes me sad now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's true that a lot of everything has the potential to make you sad right now. A lot of songs remind me of Jesse, including songs he hates or that he likes and I can't stand. We're so close that almost everything i connected to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I went and got a slurpee and it made me sad becuase Arnie and I used to get slurpees together [even though I got them more often by myself]. He'd always get pina coloda, except when he tried this weird 3 flavors one and then said he pooped purple for 4 days. The thought of that kind of made me smile. But even funny memories make me sad because I'll never experience anything new with him again, I just have my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my playlist lately

    "Midnight Sun" Viva Voce
    The lyrics in this song sting me.

    "Minor Keys" (Ghosts of the Past version) Starflyer 59
    This happens to be my favorite band, for years. This is just the newest song by them that I call my favorite. The guitars sound so cool.

    "Gideon" My Morning Jacket
    I like the sound of the opening guitar, very dreamlike.

    "How Soon Is Now?" The Smiths
    Has several lines I feel like I connect to.

    "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" Radiohead
    Lyrics really grab me.

    "New Terrain" Mew
    This song is so weird, I love it for that. Surreal sound.

    "Grounds for Divorce" Wolf Parade
    I love the title of this song and how the lyrics are mostly absurd...I find meaning in that connection...

    "Where do you run to" Vivian Girls
    Just a way cool rock song. Hum the chorus in my head all day.

    "Shelter" The xx
    Lyrics grip me and the sound is dark and sultry.

    "Under the Milky Way" Starflyer 59
    This is a cover song they did. I like the line "wish I knew what you were looking for / might've known what you would find"

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that wolf parade song. i sing it loud in my car and i think the lyrics totally make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tastes all run pretty indie. I didn't care for Starflyer 59. I prefer Pink Floyd. But I did love Grounds for Divorce.

    I still haven't looked all those up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. committed recycler - I have never listened to the beatles before but I'm slowly building the will to. where should I start?
    p.s. has the typhoon hit your area? our school is closing tomorrow.

    linda - I owned but didn't really listen to that wolf parade album until I read that you liked them. Then I gave it another chance and grew to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. to Jonathan, and other Beatles newbies:
    I used to own the two best of Beatles albums one was the early years and one was later years. There is also a red "Beatles One" I think. Jonathan, go to youtube and search Beatles. I LOVE "Dear Prudence", and "Something" possibly my two favorite songs of all time. The great thing about The Beatles is that there is something for everyone. I promise. Jonathan, more on your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS
    Click on all the songs to watch/hear them on youtube, all except Chris Whitley's Firestarter, a great great song... it took me a long time, so get the full benefit.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.