Recently I took my car in for routine maintenance. It took longer than expected, so I decided to save my reading for another time and take a walk. Once I was far enough away to no longer see turning back as an option, it began to rain. So I sought shelter (relative to walking along the side of a busy road) beneath this canopy of trees.
On a previous walk, I had discovered this small bridge,
And this small altar.
There is also a historical marker about the regular flooding of this area, and the modern cement bridge that stands next to the remains of the previous wooden one. I hung out here, for a bit, not really missing my car, and feeling no need to curse the rain. The water beneath me flowed as noisily as the rain fell above me. I wished my husband could be there with me, and share the small adventure. But it was still a small adventure, and I enjoyed it by myself.
Unfortunately, the rain did not let up, and I had to turn back....
That's really cool, Antoinette
ReplyDeletebueno yo tampoco hablo castellano pero eso no me Impide Agradecerte que henos visitado mi blog
ReplyDeletedonde estare publicando caricaturas mas y mas. Hasta pronto
I just checked out Beto's blog. He has some pretty cool pictures. Too bad "no habla espanol"
ReplyDeletehablo?
ReplyDeleteWell, Sarah, I do admit that I use both babel fish and google translate to help me read his page (and other non-English sites), but these translations are lacking, confusing and sometimes amusing.
ReplyDeleteI always try to read spanish (and even french and italian) on my own, puzzling out the words I don't know, and then pulling out my trusty reference dictionaries (I have several language dictionaries). For his, I also looked up the expressions or words I couldn't get. I also googled some of the acronyms in his political cartoons. He is very good and I like his sense of humor/absurd. Plus he looks like he could be related to us.. ;)
Lovely place and pictures! Do you speak Spanish too? My older son just started studying it in kindergarten and I wish I'd kept up with my high school Spanish far more! And can you or your kids speak some Japanese? How cool would that be? Eileen
ReplyDeleteEileen, my spanish is terribly lacking, but I understand a lot of what is spoken to me. I took a year of French in high school, and while it was not a class I wanted to take I tried to get as much as I could out of it. There are lots of cognates and similarities to Spanish and English. As far as Japanese goes, I refer to my limited vocabulary and use as "Baby Japanese". My girls and I attended a "Survival Japanese" class available to us for free through a community program. We know "politeness words". We can count to ten easily. [Ikura des ka? How much is this? Is probably the most common thing I say to strangers aside from Thank you Arigato Gozaimas and Sumimasen, excuse me or Do itashimashite, Your Welcome, and so on]. I am still learning two of the syllabaries (which doesn't help me to read signs, since then I have to know what that word means and signs are written in all three alphabets, very confusing for me). It's not like English, it's not like Spanish, and it requires that I "think Japanese" which is an effort, since I am hard wired to American English at this point. I admit that I am embarrassed that I have not learned more and not applied myself my fully to learning, but I do continue to try.
ReplyDelete