I thought I would increase my mint planting and use them for "cover" in a patch of dirt that usually just fills with rain and leaves behind our porch.
So I got these guys going. They immediately spouted new growth, you see all the leaves above the yellow book? they are babies! This was very cool for my girls hopefully I'll have time on Sunday for this Mommy project.
I always wanted to do this with the huge Rosemary shrub in Papa Tony's yard as well, but no one was on board with me, and I live in Japan so... Perhaps some other year.
While doing this I did some pest control (the snail problem is vile here).
I love the idea of planting things. The details and the logistics get on everyone else's nerves [- don't play in the back I put poison down! dirt (soil) indoors, etc].
I had to go to the garden store. I was somewhat chagrined to note that a live rosemary plant costs less than that amount of "fresh" rosemary at the grocer. Ditto with sage. And thyme. So:
one for a friend's housewarming (basil, rosemary, thyme and sage [not sure how that will do in the humidity...] amid tumbled roofing tiles scavenged from the beach)
and one for me!
Right now I am trying to figure out how to position my containers outdoors so they stay relatively pest free. It's so discouraging to see a plant that grew beautifully all year long and suddenly is leafless and chewed on, only a sad looking green stems sticking up from a pot.
Ideally I'd love separate pots of herbs and a huge kitchen garden... But perhaps that is a bit ambitious for my over crowded kitchen.
Later I'll post what did end up in the kitchen.
your plants look very nice. when i moved, i got rid of the little plant i had. :( when i grow up, maybe i'll have real plants.
ReplyDeleteanthony and I walk around home depot and lowes talking about the things we'll do when we're big. I hope you'll teach me things then, when I am not too busy being young.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I had a plant for years and years that I took with me through moves it survived all kinds of neglect and then one of Jess' bad dogs got it. And I took mint with me from Dad to WA. And left some with Rosa in Madera, too. You can move with a little plant. I feel like it is good for the soul to see something alive and growing that you are in part responsible for...
ReplyDeleteKathy, nothing is stopping you from doing those things now. You just need a small container and some seeds. You can have containers anywhere and take them anywhere with you. And Dad has a green thumb, maybe he can rub off on you. -What ever happened to my cutting? It can't be from seed it won't grow edible fruit, it has to be a cutting. Tell Dad I never forget, and he promised.
AB
your cutting of a lemon tree? He has a little plant growing for you, but I think it's an offshoot of the tree-not a cutting.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if that will work, but time will tell.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it very Dad appropriate that citrus fruit trees are all essentially clones? [cuttings or grafts]
AB