Ok, not the healthiest of choices, but I was using the wrappers for a project and I love this cheese dip.
When I shop in a store regularly -or even for the first time- I like to know where the clearance section is. Sometimes large stores have a clearance section in every department, or they have a particular signage to mark price cuts. At the BX it's a red price label. I scan for those. I just bought some nice King sized pillowcases that had been marked down several times. I know they are "last season" but my pillows will not notice. Because they were marked down lower than the price of the cheapest "generic" brand, I went ahead and bought them in two colors [blue and green, our faves], so I can change them out when I wash all the bedding. I rarely purchase bedding. It's one of those things I prefer to buy new, and I am particular about what I want. In fact, pretty soon I need to buy king sized sheets -the last time I bought sheets for our bed it was at Target on sale [-I waited a week for the sale even though our bed was brand new and we were using a cheap sheet that didn't quite fit because the sale was something like half off regular price of the good bedding], so it was at least three years ago. I figure, I sleep in my bed every night, I deserve cozy sheets that I truly like. Combine that with my cheapness and I end up doing some hunting.
Speaking of hunting, I posted on looking everywhere for a specific type of glass pitcher in a passive hunt, but recently I went on a serious active hunt for floral tape. I won't go too into how frustrating it was, how much driving I did, and how many places were out of stock, but when I found it, oh, the satisfaction! I was worried the staff at the hardware place I went to wouldn't understand me [I had never shopped there before], since I have no idea how to say "floral tape" in Japanese, but "Floral tape wa arimasuka" did the trick. The employee nodded, and gestured for me to follow him, "Floral Tape. Hai." He walked me right up to it, in a place I never would have found it without him pointing it out, tucked into a such a small space it was stacked on it's side. Segoi! yay! It was 399¥. I have no idea if that is expensive or not, since, as I mentioned before, I don't really know a current price range for floral tape, but I NEEDED it, and I had no idea it wouldn't be simple to find.
I often find life reminding me that convenience is expensive for a reason, that advice from the right person is priceless, and that if you look and look, you might find exactly what you were looking for, which might hold enough satisfaction to be worth the trouble. Now, if any one needs floral tape, or 34 ounce glass pitchers, or King sized bedding at a reduced price in the central Okinawa area, you can ask me where to find it. I'm your gal. [But you can drive, I need driving rest.]
what's "wa arimasuka" and "Segoi"?
ReplyDeleteyour experiences are cute. i know they can be a little stressful, but they're experiences, you know?
Arimasuka means "it exists" and ka is like a spoken question mark
ReplyDeleteSegoi is like surpise/yay/etc
Yeah, they are adventures. Sometimes I think of them as missions.
AB
Ha ha I meant "surprise" ARGH! typos, the bane of my blogging existence.
ReplyDelete