Friday, December 25, 2009

t-shirts, not just for wearing


An itouch without a case meets the sleeve of an old long sleeved t-shirt I can't wear anymore since the collar became misshapen from so many washings.  


I like sleeves for things like cup cozies (so little hands don't get too cold or too hot when holding a beverage).  
Old clothes get the longest life possible from us.  Usable clothing items are passed down or on.  When items aren't usable to my family (immediate or extended, I mail items to my sisters) I donate them to a local second hand store.  Items not eligible for donation (with holes or stains or just too worn out) become rags or join the craft piles.  Now I am getting a little out of hand with all the saved t-shirts and really need to complete one of my t-shirt quilts.  Wish me some focus....

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea... and I have really enjoyed your attitude about finding a new life for all you can... I'm like that too! I LOVE 2nd hand clothes better than new ones, can you believe it, as they are softer, worn in!
    I'm enjoying your blog! Thanks.
    Blessings and magic to a fellow recycler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, and thanks for commenting on my guest post over at No Time For Flash Cards! I love your ethic of finding new life for things - I hate throwing things out but I often don't have the imagination or skill to make something new out of something old. Often I give things away, which is better than binning them, I guess. But I also just store things... that's not so good. :)

    My brother lives in Japan too - he's in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I love your blog! It's so nice to have you visiting my little blog. Thanks for stopping by. My girls have tried some of your projects and I've incorporated some of the ideas in our unstructured sessions of arts and crafts free for all.
    I do still recycle through the local program, it's too bad so many things don't fall into the traditionally recycled categories, and have to be tossed. I find reusing things destined for landfill to be very satisfying and of course FREE. Hopefully I get more of my stalled projects completely and do less storing this year.

    About your brother: What a small world! My husband is sometimes on mainland for work, but Okinawa is such a unique place, I feel very lucky to be here. It's interesting to see so many Americans and other foreigners making their homes overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I have an ipod nano with a clear rubbery plastic casing. I kind of like it because it remains slim so the little nano fits into my pants pocket, but it doesn't look very good. It sounds kind of silly but I love the color of the nano and I want to see it when I take it out, you know? I also have the problem of going through several earbuds each year because the the rubber on them wears out fast from getting bumped and torn in my pocket or bag. So what I'm asking is: would you happen to have an extra one of these sleeves, maybe a slightly smaller version for a little ipod nano and its earbuds? :)

    ps I have five beatles albums, the ones I researched and was told were the best (rubber soul, revolver - favorite so far! - sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band, white album, and abbey road). But what I've also found out is that there are a ton of great classic beatles tunes that are just singles and not on any album. Do you happen to have an album or a mix that has those sort of beatles tunes, like strawberry fields, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Antoinette, that would be so cool. I will send you a new mix too, with some favorite songs of mine, old and new.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.