I frequent a few local thrift stores and recycle shops. I don't like to go far out of my way for thrifting, so unless I am on the hunt for something specific that is absolutely necessary AND very expensive new (DVD/VCR, a camera, a piece of furniture, etc) I just try to drop in while running other nearby errands or if I heard that store is having a promotion, or when I am already planning on donating stuff.
Recently I had twenty minutes to kill. I decided to stop in quickly at the on base place since I thought they would be closed during Christmas break. I walk in to discover they are having a Bag Day. Their promotion was fill a standard sized grocery bag for $3 or a large bag for $6, everything that "over flowed" would be half off of the marked price. This is really a great deal, most other bag days are $10 for a full bag, with no other promotion on other items.
I got these items:
Three plastic trays (good for crafts)
an old silicone muffin tray (recycled crayons? Clay molds? Muffin Tin Mondays?)
a surge protector (for my son)
a sheet of beeswax (not sure what for, yet)
a text book for a class I am taking in a few days (a new edition has come out, but the instructor said this one is OK, after I emailed him.)
a book, The Confederacy of Dunces
a pair of baby shoes (for my friend's daughter)
two shirts, for my sister
a pair of shorts for me,
three pair of baby pants
a baby hoodie
a t-shirt for my littlest sister,
three baby outfits
a t-shirt for my youngest daughter (those little giraffes just made me think of her)
and [not pictured] a camping mug (which I am using as a pen holder in my car)
and a small votive candle holder (New Years Eve I am lighting many candles)
OK, first of all, not too cluttery and crazy because most of it is for other people and had a specific purpose, and also for $3 I couldn't very well walk away. If I had more time I would've bought more, but I think that was best the way it turned out.
PreK Activities For Your Whiteboard
1 week ago
Thanks for your comment- that sucks about the high prices on food! You made quite a haul at the thrift store though :) We don't have the stuff-all-you-can-in-a-bag deals around here. We do have certain color tags being either 50% or 75% off, though it's usually pretty picked over by the time that color goes on sale.
ReplyDeleteThis was fun to read about. I'm such a bargain hunting fanatic that I even enjoy "buying" vicariously. You got a lot of great stuff for $3. And everytime I get things for such a great deal, it's much harder for me to spend a lot, knowing I can get this or that for a quarter, which I think has a great long term impact on our net worth. The Dora party stuff is adoreable too! Eileen
ReplyDeleteSewing Chick,
ReplyDeleteWe have the colored tag type sales, and half off or promotional prices for items that are filling the racks to almost toppling, also, one store has half off clothes on Fridays, but the Japanese recycle shops are expensive by my standards.
Eileen,
Yeah, I get jealous when my friends tell me about sales at familiar Thrift Shops back home, but I am also excited for them. I agree with you about the perspective it gives on my other other purchases, and the money I have on hand. It also keeps me from feeling "poor" when I have only a few dollars. I can do a lot with two bucks! That's eight books in the right place! Thanks for the compliment, I worked so hard on that party! My daughter did love it, so it's worth all the trouble.
Antoinette, I also wanted to comment how great your blog is looking! I can see your "style" is showing through. You must have put in some work - it's paying off! Love the format and colors, etc.
ReplyDelete