Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Saving money and resources with cleaning and care


This darling sweater had a tiny hole on the hood from where it was snagged while my daughter played. 

Today I washed several pairs of shoes.  They were all rubber type shoes, crocs, sandals and rubber rain boots.  I generally work under the somewhat delusional assumption that almost anything can go into the washing machine.  These things I put in the tub with hot soapy water.  I used a stiff bristled brush to scrub them.  It was amazing (and gross) how much stuff came off of them and how everything looked newer and better once I was done.  When I buy used shoes, I sometimes replace the insoles, or I scrub the inside sole with laundry detergent (or something) and an old tooth brush, then throw them in the washing machine.  I am aware that this compromises the structural integrity of some items.   However, children's shoes that will not be worn everyday, nor all day and only for a few months can often take it.  [It should be noted that my kids spend most of their "home time" barefoot or in socks only.]  As we are a military family, we have also polished leather shoes back to life and taken boots in to be resoled.

I have acquired many tricks and tips on stain removal as a by product of clumsiness, low income, and then having small children.  Since I was a little girl, watching my mom sew a patch with a pretty print and telling me, "Good as new", I've realized how important it was to use what I had on hand.  I have books and websites at my disposal for tips and ideas, and I take full advantage of that.  I patch things that tear or have small bleach stains.  I've used patches that I've purchased, patches that I've made from felt, and patches made from similar or matching material from my stockpile.  Not just for the kids either, for myself and my husband as well.  Many years ago, before we were married, I replaced a button on my husband's jacket, with a blue one, the same size as the white ones that were on it.  We called it The Special Button.  It was our visible inside joke.
In leaner days I may have felt as if I could not afford to buy a new pair of jeans for my kids, but with my current spending habits, I know I could go to a thrift store and replace something with a comparable item for only a few dollars and even buy something new if necessary.  I couldn't always buy a new replacement -or even a used replacement.  These days I just don't see the benefit of something new -or even new to me- when there is only a tiny hole in a [what I think of as a non-load bearing wall] noticeable place that can made into a cute focal point if I hide it with a little felt butterfly cut out, or a store bought rose patch (four for a $1), etc.  I also think of it as teaching my kids to be resourceful.
I've also used cleaning tips to save good quality pans from a trip to the landfill when my son has burned something lumpy and black to the bottom.
I've always thought of my time in terms of dollar worth, and while it does take time and effort to clean and patch up items, it saves money AND resources.  It saves the trip to the store, and the energy and effort of finding a replacement.
Sometimes it's hard for me to throw things out.  For me the balance of eliminating clutter vs. the endless possibilities of scraps eludes me.

But that's another post.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for all the comments. :) Anyway, my mother-in-law puts crocs in the dishwasher. Actually she puts just about everything in the dishwasher, like you with the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    A friend of mine once told me that many toys are dishwasher safe. -A theory we tested with great success after a terrible pet sitting incident left her child's toys in need a serious cleaning. My husband puts his work hats (some of them are baseball cap -ish) in the dishwasher, he says it helps them retain their shape during cleaning. I have put outdoor things in the dishwasher before (pots for plants, for example) much to the disapproval of my husband, who likes to say that "dirt goes outside". Unfortunately for me, my dishwasher is not often an option for non dish items.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.