Thursday, December 24, 2009

My long standing dream of a real place, that as of yet only exists in my imagination

My dream:


to open a Recycle Shop in my home town, not just full of second hand clothes and items, but also refurbished and repurposed one of a kind items.  And in the back,  a work area equipped with sewing machines, tools, fabric scraps, and all manner of reusable stuff such as glass jars, egg cartons, cardboard, paper bags, scrap fabric, scrap wood etc for people to take or leave to be reused or participate in craft workshops for a small fee or as part of some kind of membership... I like the name "What Came Around".


I would have a craft vendor day, perhaps once or twice a month, during which members could meet and sell their wares.  I would set up a locally focused newsletter with information about other second hand stores, money saving tips, cleaning and household tips, news and info about my shop and recycling information and ideas.  I'd also make bulletin board space available to local causes and organizations that fell under the low income, frugal and recycling and crafting communities.  A small space could  host ESL classes with volunteer teachers or unfinished project meetings....


I just keep thinking of ideas for this not yet existent shop.  In the meantime, I keep on sewing sewing sewing and collect all the ideas the universe is sending me.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. There is a building on yosemite i think would be perfect. I have not been inside of it, but the outside just looks awesome. Ill take a picture and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome! Except I think you should call it "What Goes Around".

    I so need a store like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I am still hoping to see this photo in my inbox. I guess you are busy with work...

    Amy, I think your name would feel more familiar to people. This idea has been fermenting in my head for so long, right now it's just a wish, but it sounds wonderful to me, too. It would be a place I'd love to find!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.