Saturday, December 19, 2009

Felt Book


The blue "ocean" and the green and brown "grass and earth" double as pockets, if she wants to sort, or if she wants to put her cut outs behind the grass or submerge them in the water.  I had so many ideas for this, it just kept building from a simple square board to a book, to two themes.  Now I want to do a road as well, but I don't have black felt, and I wanted to use what I had on hand...  What else could I make with black felt?  Sounds like Halloween or Dia De Los Muertos crafts....



I wanted to have a completely hand made Christmas, but realized that was quite the goal... Like many of my favorite bloggers I have a hard time keeping a project a secret.  -But for someone outside our home, it's easy as could be.  My friend's daughter had a birthday recently.  While they were out of town, I was inspired to make her an age appropriate soft book, but I didn't have any ideas beyond that.  I was also working on felt hats, and cutting board stencils when it hit me, a felt book.  I had plenty of felt pieces and scraps from my on going projects.  I used the die cuts to make grass, trees, dragons, the letters of her name etc.   I went a little crazy in the die cut room.




It folds closed, and looks like a book.  But I folded it down further and wrapped it with a felt "ribbon".
The front "cover" has an opening I used as a pocket.




I also made a special felt envelope for the letters.  I cut the letters to her name in four different colors.

4 comments:

  1. Man! I swear, I had this idea before. I can't remember about what, and I know I'd never do it, but I can't help but envy you for having done it first. You never know. Some people get less lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, little sister, I did a felt board to demonstrate cell division as a 16 year old in my Human Anatomy class, so I have some history there. (That was sixteen years ago.) But you can still do it! Just start. Felt is inexpensive and the scraps are fun. I can send you some if you give me an idea of what kind of project you are thinking of. Also, very glue gun friendly, since I am not sure you are a sewer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah! i love this idea! i am totally stealing it! i have many felt projects in mind (felt is just so cute) but i am not jealous, because i feel there is no shame in stealing craft ideas.

    so, i have recently become the nina of two babies, a girl and a boy (who is part of a set of twins)--- how old is our friends daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is four now.
    She loves cars, dragons and dinasaurs.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.