Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas, Okinawa Style! (a adaptation of the family email I sent out)




We have so been looking forward to this day.  The beginning of the end of Christmas Consumer Craziness and the day to say, 
Happy Birthday Jesus!  
[J gets us to call out Happy Birthday to Jesus a few times, it seems to make him so happy.] Let's Party.  Also, just that much closer to having 20% more living room and access to the storage closet under the stairs, where special things are being hidden on behalf of a large imaginary man.  The whole Santa idea is hard for me.  I have to remind myself that it's not a terrible bizarre lie and rather a means to foster belief in mystery in a tangible way for little persons and a way to give without expecting reciprocation for us grown ups.  For J it comes more naturally.  He helps me with my Christmas spirit.  While I am in charge of a lot of the Christmas logistics [I recall the day he announced that if the tree wasn't assembled and fully decorated by the time he got home it would not bode well for me], My sweet Man is the one who gets me pumped up about the lights (he and The Boy put them up) and putting up the stockings.  He grins over the tree and gets the kids excited about what is hiding under paper, felt and tissue paper under the tree.  And he is so excited about being Santa, about finding the right thing, about us loving what he chose for us.  While I find myself taking deep breaths, trying not to clench my fists, and having negative thoughts about sales clerks and the people at the post office.  I guess I handle all holidays with more than my fair share of anxiety.


Anyhow.  After getting up and getting dressed we set out for a family outing at the beach.  We packed up the girls' new wagon [which The Boy and I had just assembled in the living room -at one or two points this close to stabbing each other with tools], picked up items for a picnic lunch, and headed for the beach.  We went to Togushi Park and Beach.  We ate at a pavilion over looking the water.  We pretty much had the best seats at the park.  The Princess itched to run out close to the water and Little Iz wanted to get back into her wagon.  It was a very beautiful day.  All sunshine and sparkling water.
I took some pictures.  We got the girls in their suits and walked the beach at Togushi before we headed to Torii Beach.  I noticed that my youngest makes a wish each time she tosses a rock into the water.  I collected beach glass while the girls played in the water with Daddy making sea turtles in the sand for them and Big Brother watching nearby.  I got so hot I took my shoes off and waded in a bit.  OH it was COLD.   E must be completely impervious to it, she was chest deep and calling out about how much she loves the water, how great it is to be at the beach.  Once we were good and tuckered out, [The Boy towed my grocery bag of beach glass and tumbled pieces of tile roofing] we headed home.  We opened more presents.  The girls were in a frenzy, covered in princess jewelry and fueled with candies and Christmas cookies from the neighbor.  


For dinner, Daddy brought us sushi from our favorite place.  We sat around the table, beaming, full of good feelings and delicious food.  Our Boy commented that he loved our "kind of weird Christmas Eve".  Dad had his mouth full, so I said, "You mean, Our Okinawan Christmas Eve?"  It may be the last one we have here.  I said that I thought Dad planned it that way.  He agreed.  I am glad our Boy enjoyed himself as much as we all did. We spent an entire day together as a family.  Something we are not able to do very often, and we all had fun.  So wonderful.
Around 9:30pm, Princess E and I sprinkled her magic reindeer food on our front lawn (it looks just like oatmeal and glitter).  Then we sent those girls off to bed (not an easy task for Little Iz).  

A Happy Christmas Eve to you all, 
a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.