Fun for the Kiddos

Sometimes, when I make a big recipe of sugar cookies I use a different kind of flour and/or food coloring and make a small batch for my kids, so they can "be bakers" and have at it (I know which ones are theirs and so do they). And yes, I do bake their cookies, and they are thrilled to eat them.

When I make anything from a recipe I use my computer to type and or print it, then tape my copy to the kitchen cabinet. If I "always" halve or double the recipe I write the conversions to do so on that copy or I write it on another piece of paper and tape it over the full amounts. If I make a recipe often, it stays inside one of the kitchen cabinets. I keep lists of phone numbers in the same fashion.
My daughters are the perfect playing ages. And I love to make stuff with and for them. So clearly it's meant to be that we should do these two crafts, me with all this down time, and the bag of flour I got on sale months and months ago having exceeded it's Best By date...
Recycled Crayons and Homemade Play Dough

I didn't have anything to use as a mold that I didn't want to use for cooking in the future, so I used paper muffin cup liners, which I have many of (due to a formerly disorganized pantry). I doubled them up and filled them with crayon pieces from my daughters bin of old crayons (we don't throw them out, we just put them aside, I know I am training them to be pack rats, I am trying to come to some balance on this front). I sorted out the whole crayons and the small chalk. The chalk went into dixie cups next to the chalk board I mounted on a closet door (from that other post).
Next time I think I'll use a container from the thrift store or something I find, because they look rippled from the paper. I smoothed the weird edges out so I could stack and packages them as presents for the girls.
Directions: fill containers with broken crayons, place on a cookie sheet in a hot oven (I just preheated to 350) for five to eight minutes. I checked mine constantly. Once they looked mostly melted I turned the oven off, then I carefully removed them on their cookie sheet from the oven and let them firm up.
I loved the way the edges were a bit hairy and weird. I intentionally made them Reeses peanut butter cup thickness.
I think we'll do this together when I work out the kinks. (It takes a lot longer to unpeel the crayons that I thought it would, and crayola crayons have a glue on them that needs to be wiped off, also I will look for a more appropriate container.)

The recipe for home made clay is very simple, many many blogs and kids' sites have it:
Most are a close variation to the one I used yesterday:
Home made play dough {in green one fourth recipe for four colors}
2 c water
½ cup water +color
1 c salt
1/4cup salt
4 tps cream of tartar
1 tsp cream of tartar
4 tbs vegetable oil
1tbs veg oil
2 c flour
½ c flour
In a large pot, begin with the water, coloring, oil, salt, and cream of tartar.
It should tell you to add your food coloring to the water FIRST, then add the other ingredients.
Begin gently heating over medium-low to medium heat.
When this mixture is warm, add the flour and mix well.
Use a silicone spatula with a strong wooden handle (I broke a plastic handle, and dyed a wooden spoon)
It will basically ball up and pull away from the sides. Once it's the right consistency remove from heat and put aside to cool. Once warm you can put it into a bag or plastic container. This play clay will keep for a couple of months in an airtight container.
the crayons look really cool. i wonder where you could find crayon molds? i feel like that has to be on the internet somewhere.
ReplyDeletethe girls are so cute. i love that you do crafts and bake with them.
i get jealous. i always tell kathy i wish i had a 5 year old...because i feel like thats the age when they can do the coolest stuff, with the least amound of flimsy bodied-shaken baby- poop mess-worries.
Well, you can always do that stuff yourself. I am going to make myself a rectangle crayon. Maybe I could use a match box. I hope it doesn't burst into flames in the oven. My idea is to line it with foil and cross my fingers.
ReplyDeleteOr find something else....
I know there are silicon molds that you can do this stuff with, but you can't use them for food once you have... SO, if I do that I would rather buy the stuff second hand (less wasteful) or get them really cheap (100¥ stores) because for me the next best thing... Maybe a big crayon from a mini loaf pan would be cool. I think I have a mini loaf pan I could sacrifice for this...
I wish you could visit and be an Auntie some more. I know you are busy and poor.
These ideas are great. I like the swirly crayon-cups. I'm gunna have to try that with my day school students for art class soon.
ReplyDeleteAntoinette,
ReplyDeleteWow that is quite a pumpkin that you carved!! And the crayon cups are very cool, the costumes for your wonderful daughters are awesome. You do a lot more creative things than most. I'm sure your kids will grow up extremely creative as well. I do very little craft/art stuff and I remember reading quite a long time ago in a magazine at the checkout that Brad and Angelina's house is full of sketch pads, paints, craft items, everywhere with the thought that their kids should be able to develop their inner artist any moment of the day. I thought that was a very cool idea and it sounds like you not only offer those opportunities but are right there digging in too, a wonderful role model. I think I'm going to try to channel this idea a bit in the week to come. Best wishes and thanks for the inspiration! Eileen
Thanks for all the compliments. I try to utilize all the free directions out there on the net.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a very creative house, so I am predisposed to sew, paint, and also, most importantly, always be ready to learn something and be curious about how to do something. As I say to myself when shopping, "I can make that!" Even if I am not yet sure how to. I remember always telling myself how I would be when I was a mom, or if I was a teacher, and I try to do and be some of those things.
I also KNOW that making paints and chalk and sewing and even a garden part of my kids everyday experiences is good for their intellectual development, makes them well rounded, will serve them as an adult, and also, part of the bigger picture, helps them see where things come from (ie, not the store, but someone made this, a factory or a person - a farmer, an artist, a worker). I think it's so important that when they are at a retail store, they can think, I can make this, my mom can make this, I don't have to buy it. Or when they see a painting they can say BOTH, "This is beautifully crafted" and "I can paint!" I think it helps them to Know Better than they would otherwise.