My daughter's Daisy troop needs some elf hats. I volunteered to do this, even though I have never made hats before. I was sure it would be too easy. Um. Let's just say I had to scrap the first four because they were: [first attempt:] ugly, [second attempt:] oddly proportioned, [third and fourth attempt added a "crown":] WAY too small. So I sat down with all the things I'd learned from dozens of websites and tried again. However, once I had a finished hat I noticed it seemed small. My cuts were off, my measurements wrong. I went to measure my child's head again -this time while she slept and tried to bat me off. The math: head measurement + seam allowances + 1 for folding + [and this, hopefully my saving grace) a little for a wiggle. Back to the rotary cutter and mat. And, finally, success.
I just hope the other girls have similiar sized heads. To purchase similar elf hats (I will be adding bells later) it would cost me 300¥ to $10 each. To make them like this, including thread and bells, it's about 400¥ for six of them or less than 67cents each. Not counting my time and frustration. Now, what to do with all the scraps and the rejects? They have to be used on my troop. I was thinking felt tree decorations.
I could cut them and the girls could decorate them. Or they could be saved for another occasion.
PreK Activities For Your Whiteboard
1 week ago
CUTE!
ReplyDelete