Sunday, November 15, 2009

Yeah, I'm really this cheap

Everyone is already thinking about Christmas...
I am sending a package to my sisters and parents, and I know I send weird things... but I hope they really like the random weirdness and know it's full of love. I am sending, in the tulle and gold (tulle is from a red dress I took apart for Christmas wrap, gold is from "the mermaid dress") a glass bottle found on the beach full of sand for my mom (during her visit we got rained out on the beach right before she told me she wanted a bottle of sand) some books (from the thrift store) for mom and Lou and a bracelet (bought second hand really cool Buffalo Horn) for Sarah. I love shopping for second hand gifts. Just because the original owner didn't want or need it doesn't mean it's not worthwhile for the right person. That the original owner was able to recognize this and donate it or sell it is to everyone's benefit. I hope no one I give these gifts for feels slighted. It would be easier for me to shop for new stuff, but this stuff spoke to me and said, "Sarah" or "LINDA!", etc.
These aren't Christmas presents, but they are presents. And there is a good chance my Christmas presents will be of the same ilk, and if wrapped at all, wrapped in a similar fashion.
I'd consider skipping the gift giving insanity that is Christmas. But I love giving gifts. I don't love being broke to do so, or the festive piles of wrapping paper in bags on the curb, etc. ect. Also in my own house, there is just so much clutter. And it is so hard for me to part with stuff, so not buying wrapping paper and gift bags for my kids' gifts is definitely a good idea.

4 comments:

  1. At home we all opted out of the usual stress of money spending by doing a secret Santa. To be fair it's only mom, dad, linda, anthony, and I (apparently the first week of november isn't early enough to stop Sarah from gift-getting) . But that's money enough to slow down each of our growing debts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    You are making me and the rest of us bracelets, too right?

    Right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love buying presents. My friend Chrissy was saying this one time, "these are my only matching socks, and they don't really match" [they were the same style, but one had pink on it and the other blue]. So, I got her a box of socks. 22 pairs, a lot of them argyle. She was so happy. She thanked me every day for like a week. It made me feel good. I was stopped before I could buy Dad a gift certificate to Harbor Freight. I got him and Rachel T-shirts with my school logo on them and bought Rachel a nice clock for her new room. I had to stop myself from buying Dad a SUPER DAD T-shirt [It said Dad in the middle of the superman shape thingy]. I bought a friend of mine a Twilight Zone Talking Tina bobble head, because he was afraid of that episode when he was little. One of the gifts I ordered you still hasn’t come in, so, I’m thinking it may never. But I think you’ll like what’s in the package I sent. And I know you appreciate the Altoid tins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love giving gifts too. But. I am that person my blog says I am. So. We will buy new gifts, regardless of what I say about it. But I'm not going to avoid any bargains or any "practical Mama" gifts. So, you've been warned, warn our sisters.

    I so appreciate the Altoid tins, really I can't freakin wait! They will help with my on going craft and tool organization as well as my current projects (can't finish things when I can't find the right tools and notions).

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.