Sunday, January 31, 2010

Momminess, the slow work of decluttering, and why I still hate school






This picture is one Iz took of her shoes.  (I think that's her finger in the top left.)  Somehow she scuffed a hole into one.  We bought her a new pair, before school tomorrow.  Just imagining her walking around with a big hole in her shoe, makes me feel sad, but I think she will miss them, ruined though they may be.

So.  Hm...  I am learning a lot in my classes.  But...  However...  -And yet...  What I should be saying is this: my brain would rather not, my hands want to sew, my thoughts tend to wander, AND couldn't I -nay, shouldn't I- be doing something else with my time, something more More?  Perhaps not, but that occurs to me as I try to make lists of Japanese vocabulary words (instead of sorting the endless laundry, which I know will, in a day, become a mountain of unsorted laundry) and when all I can think about is how to make a parallel argument for my assigned essay due in ten days.  (Oh, God, I can't remember how long it's supposed to be!  And it just now occurred to me that I also have a worksheet, and a writing exercise due.  ARGH.)


On the other hand... 
On Friday, I hosted a lovely impromptu tea party with bottom of the box goodies (all those almost completely but not quite empty containers that get ignored).  I covered our outdoor table with a sheet and a big cloth napkin, and real ceramic dishes.  I put out girl scout cookies, raisins, cake, some little goodies and "magic tea" (it is sewn into a ball and opens into a flower, I don't remember the brand name, E dubbed it Magic Tea). Interestingly, the party became the talk of the cul de sac under ten set.  I took the girls to a free USO Sesame Street show on Saturday (two hours in line, forty minutes of show).  As tough as the wait was, they were blown away.  Iz danced in the aisle from the start, the princess soon joined her.  I am so glad I put the time in for us to make the show.  As of today, my immediate family have full sock drawers (socks must be matched before sorting and putting away in my house, so this is the result of tedious [on and off] hours).   And the floor of my bedroom is almost completely bare!  I also managed to free several of Iz and E's stuffed animals from under my bed.  
So, not a wasted weekend.  Just not the productive, neat as a pin housewife/model student weekend I had hoped for.  


But honestly, 
Who was I kidding?

6 comments:

  1. yeah, i haven't put my laundy away yet, it's been like 3 days.

    and what is Iz wearing, clown pants? seriously.

    i'm sort of worried i may get kick out of school [something to do with my old santa cruz loans]. i'm kinda not caring too much about it either. i mean, i'd much rather be studying art, you know? criminal justice is interesting, but, like, just to study, i don't think i want to make my living in it. scary, this is the first time i have shared all this. really, because i don't think about it. i'm kind of like, "la la la" about life, you know, and i know that's not good. i blame all those people who told me to live "one day at a time"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister of mine,
    Those are pajamas!!! She is three, remember? Sometimes I have to put worrying issues aside, because I lean toward extreme anxiety, I call this state "semi-denial/pseudo calm". I always have to think one week out. Usually, some occurs to me on Sunday, after all the store close, then ends up being really important, like, for example, the February Snack for E's Kindergarten class I haven't bought yet. HA HA Universe! You got me again! So tomorrow, when I am at the commissary buying my school snack (I get thirsty and munchy after an hour and half of Japanese class, before our Sensei gives us a fifteen minute break) I will also purchase snack for 25 little kids, which throws my full to capacity schedule for Monday a bit off. Monday is always wonky. (I am very annoyed that munchy and wonky are both showing as misspelled. )

    Anyhow, I know what you mean, I just want to be a squatter in the woods with my home schooled kids, but reality isn't going to cooperate with that dream, so here I go with what reality handed me, and thank god, because you know how I feel about flush toilets, and how freaking awesome they are (I know I couldn't hack it in the woods, and neither could my princesses)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Clara has the exact same shoes and LOVES them! I love that you hosted an impromptu tea party. Sounds like a lovely weekend to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. homeschooled mountain kids are freaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val! Nice to see you visit. Isn't it funny that even little ones have their own fashion sense and preferences? I love that Iz and E are their own personalities. The shoes Dad and I settled on said her name to us, I hope she likes them.

    Linda, don't be mean. We were public school freaks, weren't we? Well, I was. I had a lot of the kids in my class tell me so to my face. -"Normal" is not something I aspired to.
    For now things are good. Who knows what the future holds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never stress and that's bad. stress would probably do me some good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.