Monday, January 18, 2010

Saving Money on School



I am finally taking college courses, and finding that it is terribly expensive.  I am using a military spouse grant for tuition assistance and have applied for other financial aid, however I am going to avoid taking out any loans.

For the last set of classes I took I paid less than $2 for one book, the other class didn't require a text book.  The book I purchased was the previous edition of the "required" text, but with careful reading, note taking, and referencing one of my class mate's books a few times, I did just fine with the old book.  I did contact the instructor in advance and ask his advice, while he counseled me to buy the newer edition, he said that if I "put in the work" the copy I had could suffice.

I paid full price ($27) for a new copy of my Japanese language text book.  I paid $40 (together) for the books for my Writing course.  This was a $101 savings over the price for new books.  I did have to spend some time emailing people, and there was about a half hour of drive time to the meeting point the seller and I agreed to.  Even with the leg work, $100 dollars is real money, and I am so glad I didn't have to spend it.  I am glad I followed up on all the emails I got, because for two days the best deal was $80 for both books together, and while that was still significant savings ($61), I was able to get a better deal.

As far as school supplies, I purchased 3X5 index cards and color coded folders.  I had several half full notebooks.  I just tore out the big kids' notes from last year, or the drawings of my little ones and had more than enough note taking paper.  I have been printing on the opposite side of things I had to print for the class that's over now.  I did spend more than usual on printer ink, and paper, but I am lucky that I can print and copy at home, some of my classmates did their printing and copying at the library or in the computer lab.  Convenience, while expensive, is sometimes well worth the cost.  I was able to do more at home.

Luckily, I am able to save money on child care because the classes I am taking are evening and night classes and between my husband and the Big Kid, things are covered at home.  This might not be the case in the future, as in the past one or both of my "built in babysitters" has been busy with work or other commitments.

I am hoping to take classes at the closest campus in the future (there are several satellite campuses) to save on gas and drive time.  This time one class is closer than the other, but last time both classes were on a further away campus, so I'm getting better, at least.  I think that will also cut down on the stress.  Okinawa traffic can be unpredictable, and leaving at the same time I could get to class more than  twenty minutes early one day, and barely make it to roll call/sign in the next.  Cutting the distance gives me at least twenty minutes and up to forty "extra" minutes a class day.

Living expenses are covered, thanks to my Man.  I don't know how other mom's do it.  Even without a traditional job, it's stretching me a great deal.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos, kudos, kudos! What are you taking in addition to the Japanese? I was watching Tony Robbins the other day and he said anyone who is stretching is living - so you're really living Antoinette;-) I think every time we tackle something we didn't think we could - speeches and web-based assignments, we grow. Good wishes to you. Thanks for your support, which means more than you know 8,000 miles away;-). We'll both reach our dreams. Off to walk the dog. Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom took nursing courses at Fresno State about ten years ago...it was pretty tough for her sometimes.

    Cool that you're taking writing courses. Any creative writing ones?

    regarding Battlestar Galactica, I felt the dialogue and the story took a major dip in quality in season 4.0. Some awful stuff happens that doesn't make any sense in the overall plot. But then it gets better again in season 4.5. I've been watching them all with my girlfriend and we both felt the same about 4.0.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.