Sunday, January 24, 2010

Craft supplies

It's probably my biggest spending weakness.

I can drop 5000¥ in a fabric store with almost no qualms.  I don't know why this is.  Most visits to the fabric stores, I pick up a bunch of stuff and then give myself the talk before I get to the register.  It goes something like:  "Is this for a current project?  Do I need it or just want it?  Do I love it or just like it? Can I get it cheaper elsewhere?  Do I have something roughly equivalent in my stash?"  All those questions, and their honest answers, may get me out the door with just what I came in for.  I am almost incapable of "window shopping" in a fabric or craft store.  If I "pop in" to one I have to go in with a $5 or absolute must have limit.  Luckily I usually go through my talk and sometimes leave with a single square of felt, or the box of safety pins and a few machine needles.  For example, Friday I walked into the craft store with a twenty dollar bill and somehow left with $17.25.  I was amazed with myself.  Of course, I did tour the store and make a mental wish list, and I did put back several small items after considering that I didn't immediately NEED them.  I just was feeling that craft store giddiness.

So, sometimes I am home and an idea wants to be born, but all I have is scraps and odds and ends.  So, I do a little thinking and improvise.  Pictured here, my daisy hole punch, (purchased "price cut") some old girl scout flyer, a bit of a christmas shirt box, the flashcards/3X5 index cards I used for my last class, a lavender piece of construction paper painting Izzy made several weeks ago.  I do feel a bit bad about using up their "art".  I ask first, sometimes I am told NO and other times they are OK with it only if I let them join the fun.


 We have SWAPs to make for girl scouts, and I am hoping that with what I have on hand, a little ingenuity, and very little else, we will be covered on craft supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.