My Daisy Troop has two petals to earn in the coming weeks, "Using Resources Wisely" and "Make the World a Better Place". My husband says, "They're five? Right?" "Well, some of them are six", I said, ignoring the implication that "making the world a better place" may be somewhat beyond their grasp. I reminded him that the girls can do small things, and their environment is part of the world. If they can help clean an area in their neighborhood, recycle in their homes, be nicer to the people they see everyday, they are, in fact, making the world a better place. He is still mind blown that Thinking Day had "We can end world hunger and extreme poverty" as the theme. If you saw all these girls, with their serious faces and genuine concern, you'd believe it. -In fact, I do believe it.
We joked that by the time E is a Junior or a Cadet, she'll be focusing on larger scale projects, like feeding every hungry child, and so on, but for now, a park clean up, and a canned good donation will suffice.
For this petal, and for our troop, from now on we will be doing projects with half as much -or less- paper, ie, two or four "pages" per standard sized sheet. I do this at home when I print something very long for myself, to save paper and ink. I also usually print with 70% grey, to save ink, but I've been doing that a long time. (Remember, I'm cheap, but I still love to use my printer.) I think I'll have the troop collect old crayons for recycled crayons (I'll bring in the several styles I made at home and let them pick one), making hand foam soap (using 10% expensive dish soap and 90% distilled water), we will make "recycle notebooks" from paper that is printed on the one side (the extra newsletters and such printed for Daisies, and papers they bring from home). We'll go through our existing supplies and plan two other crafts as a group and do more swaps, just for our troop as a fellowship activity (and as part of using resources wisely, I will incorporate recycling... Somehow).
I think we will also use old straws to blow bubbles and make hats from newspaper (being resourceful).
Any easy ideas? Keeping in mind that I have 5 and 6 year olds and each activity should take about 15 minutes or be easily broke down into 15 minute sessions.... Most meetings we do two or three activities AND snack.
PreK Activities For Your Whiteboard
1 week ago
i am so amazed by the girl scouts. i am hoping that if i have a daughter she will believe that she can make the world a better place when she is 5 years old. actually, i hope i learn that lesson soon.
ReplyDeleteLou, I love that too!
ReplyDeleteYou can make the world a better place, you don't have to be Mother Teresa or join a commune. The little things add up, like pennies, quarters and one dollar bills.
I think all your new things count, by the way. I am having the hardest time getting things done around here. I miss you.