Friday, March 12, 2010

Recycle Craft: Beach glass & recycled/repurposed glass containers.

Yes, this is a giant pickle jar. It looks way cooler in person.  I have had this idea for ages: that I could partially fill a glass container with beach glass, then put a smaller glass container within it and fill it with more beach glass to get a really unique candle holder.  
I love that this is a true "recycled" craft, from the pickle jar, to the beach glass, to the inner glass holder (which held my mother's day gift from the big kid, a linen scented candle) to the thrift store votive candle inside.  I hoped to find taller candle holders, and had to settle for what I had on hand.  Even in this one, it is very difficult to light the candle, so perhaps that's for the best.  

This one is made from the container for a candle we burned at home and the inner container is the one from the thrift store in the previous post:
.
I love this idea.  However, it was more difficult than one might think, the inner glasses did not sit evenly inside, and it took a lot of trial and error to get the beach glass along the sides to distribute evenly (which it didn't, really).  I didn't have enough of one color to do exactly what I had envisioned, but I am still pleased with the results.  My family thought I was nuts for half a day, as I was spreading beach glass all over the counters, but they came around.

6 comments:

  1. years ago arnie had me glue beach glass to a light fixture. that's what beach glass makes me think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so awesome, Antoinette. When you moce back to California (never), I'll be your assistant and bask in your creative glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this! I wish we had beach glass here. I'm not even sure what that means, but is it sort of like seashells? This is a gorgeous thing you made!!!! Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beach glass is the tumbled smoothed opaque pieces of glass [from bottles, usually] that wash onto the beach. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great!! I'll look for some during our Hawaii trip and may just try to make this jar idea when I get back if I find enough. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.