Friday, March 26, 2010

Making the World A Better Place

I am trying to come up with a quote about making the world a better place.  A chinese proverb, I think.  -Not just a quote or a proverb, but a specific one I am certain I read as a teen in a book full of inspirational stories, like the Chicken Soup For the Soul (first book?) series or the Robert Fulghum  (All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten) books.  I think it's from the first Chicken Soup for the Soul book.  Anyhow, in order to illustrate that small actions in our everyday lives can make the world a better place I want to read this quote to the girls, perhaps print it out and have them paste it to a foamy and decorate it, put a little punch on the top and tie it to a string or ribbon, to put some where they can see it at home.  But I can't find it online and I can't remember it.  AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS.  Of course I've enlisted the help of my sisters and friends, but haven't found it still.  I am thinking of going with something from Mother Teresa or Ghandi, or picking a bunch of quotes and letting the girls choose one they like.  It may be that I am remembering the quote wrong... That it might not be appropriate for 5 and 6 year olds.  I already used Helen Keller's line, 
I am only one; but still I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.  I will not refuse to do the something I can do.  
That's a good one.  

Maybe we will read Horton Hears A Who, or refer to it, A person is a person, no matter how small.  As a short person it always connected with me, although I prefered Horton Hatches the Egg, I said what I meant, I meant what I said, an Elephant's faithful, One hundred percent, I am sure that's the source of my affinity for Elephants.

I need to start scheduling out my day in order to manage my time more effectively.

There is so much to do that must be done, and so much to do that I'd like to have done, and so much that happens during the day to get me off track, or show me even more that I could do, if I could somehow spin some extra hours into the day.  But I waste time trying to figure out how to do more, and I am ankle deep in mess too often.

Lately I have been thinking about how my own girls and their hugs and charm make my world a better place.  Even though, it is a messier, more chaotic place, filled with toys, crying and constant lessons to be learned and taught.

If anyone out there can come up with that quote and put it in the comments, I would be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know the specific quote you're looking for, but boy howdy, do I have a lot of quotes. Some of these may be a bit advanced for little people.

    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." Edmund Burke

    "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." William James

    "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank

    "Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still." Chinese Proverb

    "I think I have learned that the best way to lift one's self up is to help someone else." Booker T. Washington

    "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." Einstein

    "Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas Edison

    When you find the one that really speaks to you, you might consider painting it directly on the wall. I did that in my daughter's room years ago and I still love it.

    And also thanks so much for stopping by. I love it when people can get lost in my blog. Makes me very very happy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.