.jpg)
These are two of my former co-workers, eating pizza Japanese style
(and laughing that I have pulled out my camera to document it).
-Notice his baggy pants, sorry you can't see his tabi shoes, typical of construction workers, although he only wears a helmet, not the cloth head covering under it that many of the workers I see daily wear. A friend commented that they look like construction samurai.

This gravesite is located very near a park we frequent.

A New's Day Dragon Dance in front of a major Department Store
in Chatan.
"Construction samurai" made me laugh out loud.
ReplyDeleteThe used book store costs maybe 500yen per book, and many that are less. Way cheaper than new ones at least. And they are happy to order whatever books I want. I have been reading voraciously lately. Do you like Haruki Murakami? Who are your favorite authors? If you haven't read it yet, try Momo by Michael Ende. It is my favorite book ever.
Somehow reading more and more encourages me to write more and more. Have you ever tried writing?
I can totally relate about suffering from that pathological need to read and write. Even when I think I am having a dry spell, my subconscious finds me other outlets, like writing plays for my kids to perform at all these holidays my boss wants, or filling journals with all my brain sewage. I tend to read my kids' reading textbooks during breaks at school too. Not just for lesson planning :P.
ReplyDeleteI really really like Hemingway. Especially "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place". I have not read very much poetry before. Maybe some Emily Dickenson, Sylvia Plath, but not much else. I like poetry a lot, but for some reason haven't really gotten into it yet. I am going to start American Gods by Neil Gaiman next since one of my buddy's recommended it to me.
You know if your beginning is what is hanging you up with your writing...I say start in the middle then. It's okay to do that :). And there's so much rewriting and editing involved as you go, any beginning you struggle with will probably need to be drastically changed later anyway. Just write, that's what's important.
And I am scared to death of sharing my writing. It's okay to keep it away form other people's eyes though, since sharing it too early or to the wrong people can kill the whole process. Definitely finish it before you let it out in the light, because you'll be done with it yourself and ready to write a new, better draft. In that way what strangers think of it stops mattering. I hope that makes sense.
I think that is a great idea for a novel. It'd resonate deeply with a lot of people for sure.
ReplyDeleteHey, If you are in need of someone to bounce ideas off of or to read any writing for feedback, I'd love to. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing. I'll share my own writing too, but I can't until the current draft is completed...just let me know.
I deleted it, sorry...I guess I can't get away with doing that anymore without somebody knowing...
ReplyDeleteNow I'm imagining the arborist ninjas jumping around like the construction ninjas...or is that picture in my head am I way off?