Thursday, September 24, 2009

Excited about coupons, and traffic miracles

Today I went shopping at the commissary (our grocery store). I put a $40 limit on my purchases, as I was trying to be quick, just pick up a few things, and bridge the gap until pay day. A week or so ago, my neighbor Tara (great, smart, funny, generous...) let me go through her reject coupons. It took me a few days to cut and sort through. This was the first chance I'd had to use them. My precoupon total was $40+. My post coupon total was $32. That's twenty percent savings. I am so impressed with me! If I can do this a few times I will have paid myself for all that time spent.
I had really great coupons too. I had one for FREE paper towels made from recycled paper, and a buy one get one free for Reese's peanut butter cups, which I buy the kids anyway. I also got some yogurts I never would have tried if not for the coupon. They are good, too. I bought those dishwasher tabs the kid likes so much, that are so expensive. With the coupon it was cheaper than the cheapest powder. This is the thing about life: you have to make it entertaining. If that game was clipping coupons and saving money, then I won. And I didn't need anyone to lose so that I could win.

I think of all the mundane things in this way. I say to myself, well, traffic was horrible, but hey, Family, I made it! All the way home, no tickets, no body damage to the vehicle, no mayhem! I am home!
Some days it really does seem like a miracle.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to collect coupons. They always end up expiring in a pile under some magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a coupon holder that you carry in your purse, or to put them in your wallet. That's the only way I could use them. Sometimes I have to hang out a few feet from the checkout organizing my coupons. I have decided not to be embarrassed about it. It's money!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.