Friday, December 2, 2011

Dancing is free. My kids get down.


My kids often say, while in line at the store, "Mom!  I like this song.  Can I dance?"  Oh sure, dance your little hearts out, I say. Until they bump into something.  They are such fun kids, how could I deny them a dance?  It's free, and it's easy.

I have been listening to "This Is Your Brain On Music" [audiobook, I just put it into itunes yay].  It discusses one of my favorite ideas: that dancing and singing are as innate  for humans as walking and speaking, but, many people are convinced in childhood, that they "can't sing" or "can't dance".  I think that many kids hear it from their peers, as if a five year old is an authority on future musical ability.  And even if they were: singing and dancing like a professional isn't necessary.  Even the minimally skilled can benefit from a good dance fest.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.