I went grocery shopping with my kids last week. I very rarely shop with both of them. Partly because together their limbs and squeals are multiplied ten times instead of the logical twice[which turns me into a frothing wreck), but mostly because they beg and plead for too many things I will not buy them, and several things I give into against my better judgement. I spent twenty dollars more than I would have without them, on things that were only for them. But I didn't buy any homerun pies, and some of that twenty was on strawberries, so it was kind of a wash. I resolve not to shop with them again until my nerves recover, which will be, at this rate, at least two weeks from now, but next time I will force them to make wish lists, so that I can appear to consider their more wild requests, and look like a nice mommy when I fill a request that I can see the value in.
I am spending a lot of energy trying to wait patiently, in a determination to stick things out, be optimistic -or at least not pathetic- about everything from housework to homework.
On one hand, I made good choices at the grocery store, on the other hand I bought candy bars from some band kids at E's school.
I am keeping up with washing laundry, even though it hangs out in baskets for a while. I wish my children and husband would contribute more to household chores, but I can't keep holding my breath or continually nagging them. So far neither of those has worked at all.
I need more sleep, and I think that's the one best thing I can do for myself, and everyone else, in the immediate future.
Tomorrow I will be a nicer mommy, eat less chocolate, and do something with the disaster that is my desk area....
PreK Activities For Your Whiteboard
1 week ago
you're not a mean mommy. it seems, from your post, more like you have mean kids. and i know them; they can be mean.
ReplyDeleteMy kids can be a scary combination at the store. More than once I've vowed, no more taking them both to the store!!! But milk runs out, Greg works late, and off we go;-). Kids and grocery stores -- dangerous combination!
ReplyDeleteLast time the checkout clerk was telling me that she'd brought her three year old there and in front of all the customers and her fellow workers, the kid threw such a fit (including having to be pried from a store pole) that she was convinced they'd bar her from the place;-).
Good wishes and no great advice to offer.....;-)