Friday, February 18, 2011

Time v. Money

It seems as if there is never both at the same time, and if so, not for long.

When I have worked a regular job, I would have more money, but no time, and noticed I spent money on conveniences and services I could perform myself if I had the time.

I try to do whatever I can myself, but this attitude can be time consuming.  How much is an hour worth?  I am so easily distracted as it is, to add tasks to the regular business of the day can seem masochistic.   My time isn't free.  I have a full life, and carving out pockets of time can be frustrating, and distracting, and takes away from my family life.
I should be doing homework right now.  Or sleeping.

I have done a lot of things lately, at home and on the cheap.  More than a few times I've had to stop myself from getting spendy or feeling needy.  But I have more than enough.  More than others, more than I need.  Reminding myself of that does help.  I've also made sure to treat myself with things I have available to me: a bubble bath, an observant eye, a gorgeous sky, a good book, a minute of snuggle time before getting up to face the day, wearing nice earrings and a necklace, finishing up the last of a nice lotion, listening to a favorite song while rushing to school.  After enjoying something precious that I didn't have to spend money on I feel [however  temporarily] salved and sated.

2 comments:

  1. Antoinette, Loved this post. I think about this a lot too. What is the best use of time, when it is the most limited resource we all have. The photo of the cherry trees is GORGEOUS!! You could have that framed. What are you studying? I know awhile back you had taken classes in Japanese. Good luck with the fleas - yuck! We've dealt with that too. But the Frontline stuff works miracles. Good wishes to you. Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased that you enjoyed the post. I know a lot of people deal with juggling time and money. It's important for me that I continually check myself. I think it is especially difficult to prioritize because I -like many women- wear a lot of hats. Often, I weigh meeting needs of the members of my family against meeting the needs that will make me a better wife and mom without thinking about it so many times. There are times when I feel very indulged and others when I feel horribly beset, often in the same day. But I know I am lucky, and that as long as I stay mindful, I will get through. Some days I end just pushing through, having served frozen pizza and apple slices as dinner. That's life.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.