But here I am. Today. Several days late, pockets empty, eyes slightly downcast. Did you miss me? Even a little bit? I am going to pretend you did, I am imagining that, indeed, you thought to yourself the other day, What happened to Committed Recycler? Did she start throwing steel cans into the regular garbage, and in a deep shame spiral abandon her blog forever? Or more likely, since odds are we are, in fact, blood relatives, are you thinking, Even if my sister needs to spend more time cleaning her freaking kitchen, seriously, how long does it take to post a blog? [OK, that's what I would think about them, if they had a kitchen that looked like mine when I visited them.]
So.... what have I been up to? Lots and Lots. -Of nothing, and something and stuff. Honestly, we have been struggling financially. Due to my own craziness I am suffering from an over load of money saving suggestions from the internet that do not apply to me, since I already employ them, or are simply too far for me. I, personally NEED the good toilet paper, and have decided that basic cable and home internet access are well worth the cost (vs the price of other entertainment options, and I do require consistent internet access for my college courses). I do not need advise on shopping strategies, how to buy a car, save electricity, etc. I wasn't able to find used or cheap books for school this semester. I paid full price for three books. It is insane to me that I had to do that. I have hundreds and hundreds of books, and, aside from gifts, I would say I've purchased less than twenty books new and most of those on sale or with a gift card. So, I have been managing two books short for my classes, by going to the school library to use the copies at the reference desk, we have been getting a lot of help from friends and family with our car troubles, and transportation issues. Also, my brother in law agreed to cut my hair as soon as our schedules allow.
Part of the reason I have kept away from this blog is that I feel full of complaints. I am sure no one wants to hear my petty woes, again, including me. So, for some comic relief:
Instructions on how to use a tortilla -pictures and text. (Really!)
My favorite Mexican restaurant in Japan had this on every table.
It killed me every time. I resisted the persistent urge to shove the sign into my bag, (-mostly because I knew I would want to come back and have the carnitas plate again someday-) settling, instead, for a photo.

i missed your blog, but i know you're really busy. the reason why i hardly ever blog is because nothing goes on in my life. when are you going to help me start my new business?
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteyou never decided what you want to do. I don't know what you want to do. When I ask you about art the conversation always changes. But I am here, and we can talk when you visit next week.
AB
Antoinette, I'm glad you're back. I think we all feel guilty about not blogging enough or think our own lives are dull, because we live them, but it's always fun to visit a friend's house and see how she decorated for Christmas, or what's up with her kids/family, and even her "serve boring spinach pie ten times a month" tastes great because it's all new to everyone else but her. Your life from living in Japan all these years to your commitment to recycling to expertise in frugality are all so interesting. Keep up when you can, but don't feel bad when you're too busy...at least that's what I try. Good wishes! Eileen
ReplyDeleteAntoinette,
ReplyDeleteyour blogs are hilarious. Even if everything you did was boring, YOU would still be interesting.
I love you.
I am hoping you don't regret that hair cut.