I have not been practicing my penny pinching ways during the move and subsequent settling down. We have tried to make economical choices, and have made efforts to have our purchases go far for the dollar. Having never, in more than ten years of our marriage, owned new appliances (we had several second and third hand washer and dryer sets, and fridges shed in moves), we decided that now was the time, and got a washer and dryer and refrigerator (we shopped hard for bargains and energy star appliances). Having furnished our homes with loaned government furniture during our nearly four years over seas, we purchased [and await delivery of] new beds for our daughters. However, we saved a lot of money on living room and bedroom furniture as my husband's parents passed down some beautiful good quality pieces to us. Also, we are borrowing tables until we can afford to buy lumber and supplies for a dining room table and a sewing/craft table. -Or find good quality second hand items, and a truck to haul them in.
I think our biggest money saver has been being near family and friends who thought of us before donating or selling big items. Also, people who can tell me where to shop have been helpful. But this is my hometown, and I am not completely clueless. I know where to start to find bargains.
My youngest sister and I did a thrift store run. I intentionally avoided thrift stores for months, knowing I have enough stuff. But as the weather cooled, I realized that all those semi tropical winters had thinned my entire winter wardrobe to a few pairs of jeans and a jacket. Which is really not enough, if I plan on ever leaving the house. So:
lots of clothes. Mostly for me, but a few things for my girls too. Yay!
and something that will have to be on the next blog, since I can't upload the picture I took ;)
PreK Activities For Your Whiteboard
1 week ago
Hi Antoinette,
ReplyDeleteOnce again, welcome back stateside. I so relate that it's been hard to keep up with our blogs when trying to get so much done too. And in an odd way, the blog is sort of a reminder to me that I've been at this so long without any major breakthroughs, and that can be a bit discouraging. I hope you enjoy settling in near your family and looks like you did a great job with your thrift store finds! I too only recently invested in new appliances and I love them!!!! Good wishes. Eileen
Eileen,
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to hear from you. I am going to have to take the blog one at a time, but I just posted again today, so thanks for the push. I keep telling myself that things can wait, until they can't and I just have to slug it out and get things done. Isn't it amazing how a new thing can just make you feel special? I love my washer and dryer, and I have never had such a nice fridge. I almost want to wash things for no reason and use the ice dispenser for kicks. But I am too cheap for that;)
AB