Friday, February 5, 2010

Make your own Felt Flower Pin


I got this idea from pre-cut packaged felt flowers in the craft section at the hundred yen store.  I bought a single pack with plans to use them to patch a t-shirt.  I used one for that purpose.  The others got scattered about.  When picking them up, I liked the way they looked and I pinned a few together.  I really liked that, so I found a single bell (left over from holiday crafts, no doubt), slightly uncurled a safety pin, and added the bell to the front of the felt flowers  Viola: felt corsages.  I've made a few fabric corsages in the past, they are time consuming because the flower shapes must be cut out individually, and then sewn together.  I hoped to find a die cut that would expedite this process, but the craft store only had one die cut for flowers and it wouldn't work for the pattern.  However, the die cut works great for these felt pins.
I started out with oodles of felt.  I folded, cut, and ran it through the die cut machine.

I made some booboos.  I decided to use these for top pieces until I make a pattern later.


Here's one getting ready for a pin and bell, and a second in the middle of being cut down to a top piece.







Here's the hard part.

I uncurled the pin, pushed it through the back, through both pieces of felt, threaded it through the ring atop the bell, then threaded it back through.  Then I pushed AND twisted the safety pin. Until the flower was threaded all the way through.  The safety pin is in the back, hidden and secure.  My daughter got lots of compliments on Tuesday for the experimental version. 

So, 19 down 41 to go... E is a little sad that she is not getting them all, but she says, it's "OK, I'll pick the best one."

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is wonderful inspiration for art class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to reply to your questions a few days ago...I would like to go to Europe after this Japan adventure. I found out the same type of job I am doing now is also available in most countries in Europe. I'll teach English and keep working on my book. Right now Ukraine is my country of choice, for a couple reasons, but we'll see...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.