Tuesday, July 26, 2011

studying...

I am spending all my time doing very mundane student, mom, sister, wife things.  Which means that I am looking very very forward to being finished with summer school, and want to do even less once finals are over tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately, there are so many plans and projects that were tabled so that I could focus on getting two core classes out of the way.  I had not been able to get into a Psych or American Government class during the regular school year because they fill up, so I thought, Summer school!  But Gee, it is terrible.  I mean... It requires of me several things that are difficult for me compounded in minor ways.


First, I am not a morning person, neither are the members of my household.  Nonetheless, I signed up for a class that meets daily at 8 am, across town, in the direction that nowhere I would be going at 8am is.  So I spend my first class only partially conscious.  This might sound funny, but, indeed, it is not.  I have always had a morning problem.  I have always required more than an average amount of sleep.  But for some reason I thought this was a conditioning issue or a failure of motivation.  Turns out I just have to be up for about three hours before I am fully awake.  It's bad.  I actually slur slightly during my first few moments of speaking before 10am.  I yawn, and stretch until near noon!  It would be comical if it were not pathetic.  I feel as if this would be "normal" for someone who partied all night, but not normal for -- Well, it is certainly not optimal for performance.

Second, I had never developed study skills.  I am very well read.  I enjoy reading almost everything.  I am not good at paying attention or sitting still, but I take meticulously detailed notes, and the writing of them helps me to commit to the material.  I also try to make every learning experience as personal.  This means that I take my grade seriously, and I find a way to relate to material on a personal level in order to commit it to memory.  I make it valuable however tenuously I tie it to my life.  This is not enough to do well in challenging classes.   I forget this every time there is a test.

Third, I am more committed to my children than to the schedule.  So, homemade sidewalk paint trumps making flash cards and searching through the laundry for matches to socks and favorite underwear for children comes before reviewing my notes most mornings. 

So I need to find a way to do the morning thing, at least until I don't have morning classes.  I can get up earlier and eat better.  I can do my readings in a more timely matter and tell those spoiled kids of mine to wait... 

Hopefully that lasts and helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.