Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mermaid tail skirts: Free + ten hours (approximate and full of interruptions)

It may be that others never require mermaid clothes on a moment's notice (or, let's say, a few weeks notice that turns into three days because mermaid tails came after school and housework and sleep).  But, in our household, these are the challenges that become minor triumphs.
I had something completely different in mind.  Then I went and used the iron without checking the setting and melted the perfect turquoise fabric I'd cut for my first idea.  So I thought, OK, find a fabric that is unlikely to melt and start again.  I knew I wanted to make the flipper part quilty without making it country quilted or overly elaborate.  Even these simple stitches ended up taking ages since I don't sew knits a lot and am using a new machine.  This was made from an XL mens t-shirt, purchased for 50 cents at a thrift store, and padded with a sweater that had a bleach accident.  I made two, with slight variations, and am thinking of making a half dozen at a later date (there are three non-school weeks in May-June I am thinking of).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to leave one.

I sometimes comment back in the comments section, so keep a look out for a reply.