But even more, I love things that are free. I have to stop myself from taking free pencils, pens and notepaper, as I do not need them, and if I let myself think about it, neither do I want them.
I troll the curb for cool stuff. The Boy both loves and hates
this about me, since I send him on reconnaissance and
recovery missions for things I thought might be cool, or are too heavy for me to carry. Lou hides her shame by leaning back into the seat. I feel I have rescued these items from a less dignified future. Many of my houseplants came to me in this fashion.
I don't spend money on things I think I could get any cheaper. Or for free on the curb. I spent a long time thinking about getting E a booster seat and switching her from her car seat. I priced them, from the basic, cushion on plastic, to the ones with backs and cup holders. I really liked the cup holder kind. It wasn't long before I saw one, on the curb on Friday (big pickup day, or recycling day since the garbage contractor sells these items to second hand stores). It was a little dirty, but a new model, stickers still intact. Whoever threw it out threw out the box, too. I took it home, cleaned it up, washed the cover, and put it in my car. Iz got her "new" booster at the thrift store. It was filthy. I took the whole thing apart. I sprayed the entire seat with bleach solution, then rinsed it with hot hot water. I took the covers off, washed them and stuck it in my back seat. It really looks good as new. I am so proud of myself.
JB refers to my recycling as "borderline pathological" and "kinda OCD", which the Boy repeats as often as he can. I save freaking everything. Until it gets out of hand, then I agonize over what to give away to people I know, thrift stores or just put on the curb for the next lucky gal. And when truly called for, I do throw things into the trash. Even though it hurts my feelings to do so.
this about me, since I send him on reconnaissance and
recovery missions for things I thought might be cool, or are too heavy for me to carry. Lou hides her shame by leaning back into the seat. I feel I have rescued these items from a less dignified future. Many of my houseplants came to me in this fashion.
I don't spend money on things I think I could get any cheaper. Or for free on the curb. I spent a long time thinking about getting E a booster seat and switching her from her car seat. I priced them, from the basic, cushion on plastic, to the ones with backs and cup holders. I really liked the cup holder kind. It wasn't long before I saw one, on the curb on Friday (big pickup day, or recycling day since the garbage contractor sells these items to second hand stores). It was a little dirty, but a new model, stickers still intact. Whoever threw it out threw out the box, too. I took it home, cleaned it up, washed the cover, and put it in my car. Iz got her "new" booster at the thrift store. It was filthy. I took the whole thing apart. I sprayed the entire seat with bleach solution, then rinsed it with hot hot water. I took the covers off, washed them and stuck it in my back seat. It really looks good as new. I am so proud of myself.
JB refers to my recycling as "borderline pathological" and "kinda OCD", which the Boy repeats as often as he can. I save freaking everything. Until it gets out of hand, then I agonize over what to give away to people I know, thrift stores or just put on the curb for the next lucky gal. And when truly called for, I do throw things into the trash. Even though it hurts my feelings to do so.
I love yard sales, thrift stores, and online sales of used items. Partly for the deal, and partly for the entertainment, the voyuerism.... It also appeals to me that I am getting things I won't find cheaper at Wal-Mart, things that are in their second (or third) life, things that perhaps only I can love...
oh antoinette. i love you. i wish i was as committed and crafty as you.
ReplyDeleteOh, Antoinette. You are crazy.
ReplyDeleteKathy, I might be crazy, but partly in the good way, right?
ReplyDelete